Monday, February 7, 2011

Swim time

     I went to the gym this morning; I like going to the gym around the time that the senior swim class ends. I enjoy listening to the women talk about their lives. They are so honest with each other. They laugh a lot about things that I find odd or have never heard of.  They often talk to me about my day. They speak as if they have known me  forever. They hug, kiss, and squeeze when I look sad or am truly crying. I honestly do not know any of their names. Is it sad that I do not want to know their names. That being able to go there work out and then have this strange support of all of these wonderful older women is enough? Completely odd how these relationships just happen form out of no where with no real need.  Yet, I am thankful for them. I am thankful for their strength, advice, and caring nature. It is like having a grandmother that didn't spank me as a child. 
       I have always had a soft spot for those older than me. I have gravitated towards their wisdom and calm ways. I have had many mentors along the way. I am proud to say that three of my best friends in my life were over the age of eighty. They taught me things that have stuck with me. Great things about love, life, and the power of silence. (still working on the silence.) I forget how much I need those people right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment